Sunday, October 2, 2011

Review: The Little Book Of Fuck You by Rebecca Treadway


There have been very few bright spots for me over the past couple of weeks.  The headache and sinus infection I have been suffering from has had me zapped to the point that all I wanted to do was be in total darkness, liquored and pilled-up.  Even getting Honcho and A Letter To Doctor Freudstein - Demoni - And Ten Poems out there and live did not make me feel very well, and in fact I feel pretty robbed by not being in a celebratory mood over the event as I usually am.  Oddly enough one of the things that has managed to make me feel a little upbeat is the song 'Rhaposdy In Blue' by J-Pop super-group DA PUMP.  And the other was a wonderful little piece of poetry.

You see I had been reading this total piece of the smelliest cheese you can get from Ellora's Cave, a little gem titled Her Very Special Robot, that was so awful it just made the migraine I've been suffering with for two weeks worse. Once I finished that off I turned to this, my head eased, I had a laugh, and like Shawn Michaels was able to find my smile again. Rebecca Treadway has a way with words that truly make you feel like you've found a kindred spirit.

The Little Book Of Fuck You is a long poem Rebecca wrote after being awakened in the early morning hours by her arguing neighbors and how it made her feel.  Her thoughts are real and surreal, sometimes bordering on horror and tinged with a little religious imagery.  I could relate, I've been there with neighbors past and present.  Believe me, in the time it took me to get through this poem I indeed had a smile on my face, and felt just a little less alone in the world.  So obviously, Five Stars!

Now for you nit-pickers and naggers, I know some of you will complain that you actually have to pay for a single poem.  And there is much use of the N-Word, sometimes ending in "a" and sometimes ending with an "er".  But, like me, Rebecca writes in the real world, and in the real world that's how people talk, and if you would like to know my views on that subject in more detail search back in the archives for a little essay titled, "Why I'm Not Afraid To Use The N-Word When Writing".

Really if you're the kind of person that has a problem with words and paying their hard earned cash of a single poem, trust me it wasn't written with you in mind.  Except for maybe the poem's underlying theme...

"FUCK YOU!"

Here's where to get your copy of The Little Book Of Fuck You:

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-You-ebook/dp/B004V121Z6

Be sure and lurk for it!

Master Vyle

4 comments:

  1. aww...thanks! heh. and that god awful pic on Amazon. *shakes head*
    It's a long poem of about 3,000 words tho' - so look at as surrealistic short fic based on fact. I need to turn it into a comic zine. The original idea has illustrations with it.

    Glad it made you smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a face! She's got talent in many facets of this industry, and finally it can be proven that she has a face. Very apt title for the story, given that a lot of us (all of us?) have either been in or heard of that situation ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Little Book of Fuck You is what I need when I need a pick me up. It never makes me fail to smile from the very first lines. Believe me, I know where Rebecca was coming from when she wrote this. The Little Book of Fuck You is what I need when I need a pick me up. It never makes me fail to smile from the very first lines. Believe me, I know where Rebecca was coming from when she wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you read it, Lisa! Knowing where you live(d) at, yep! The subject(s) of the poem moved out about 2 months later, and the woman was being led away by a CPS agent.
    @Jason: I've always had a face. :p

    ReplyDelete