Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Fear In Words Volume Two: The Poems by Jason Darrick


Since I'm feeling pretty much back to normal it's time to hit another review that's been on the back burner for awhile.  Yes, I'm finally getting to Fear In Words Volume Two: The Poems by my friend from the north Jason Darrick.  I'm sure that this review couldn't come at a better time, since last night his countryman, Paul Michael Levesque, was dissed by pretty much the entire WWE staff and roster, while John Cena and C.M. Punk were in the back shaking hands, or whatever so they would not been seen in public giving Triple H the big diss and look like a couple of haters.  But anyway, I'm not going to turn this into a Master Vyle Championship Wrestling Blog post, just a little something I had to get out of the way.  (And believe me it could use something because I said a month ago I would post there once a week, and well it's kind of been a month since I posted there.)

Anyway...

Poetry is one of those things that is a hard sell.  In fact it is a point Jason and I agreed on yesterday afternoon as we tweeted back and forth.  He had made it through the Ten Poems part of A Letter To Doctor Freudstein - Demoni - And Ten Poems and said he liked some and didn't like others.  I told him I pretty much expected that, my feeling on anthologies and collections extending to my own once they're in someone else's hands.  He said that he didn't expect everyone to embrace every one of his either.  Not only is poetry a hard sell, but it's often a hard write.  At least it usually is for me.  For others the words just flow on out in no time, and boom they've got a collection.

Overall I have to say that I like Fear In Words Volume Two: The Poems better than I do most poetry collections.  If nothing else every single one is well written, and you can tell that Jason put a lot of though into each one.  The collection covers quite a range of things: horror, insanity, murder, even a little political commentary.  (I think.)  It's short and sweet, will probably take most people an hour or two to read depending on your speed and comprehension ability.


Out of the ten poems in the collection I would have to say that 'Guillotine' and 'Catch Me If You Can' are a couple of my favorites.  'Jump' is another good one, and the final poem in the collection, 'The Game', (Nothing to do with the afore mentioned Mr. Levesque) helps it end with a bang.  Overall I can't help but give Fear In Words Volume Two: The Poems anything less than a solid Five Stars.

Here's where to get Fear In Words Volume Two: The Poems.  It should be coming to more outlets soon, and I will keep you posted as soon as I know additional sites.  Plus Jason is putting this out there for free, so there's no reason to put it on your wish list, just go an get it!

Barnes & Noble:   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fear-in-words-volume-two-jason-darrick/1105650028
Smashwords:    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/86003

Also be sure to lurk Jason Darrick up on FaceBook and follow him on Twitter @Fear_In_Words.  And by the way he also writes about his own thoughts on writing and reviews on his awesome blog, Fear In Words http://jasondarrickfiw.blogspot.com


Master Vyle

No comments:

Post a Comment