Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: One Buck Horror Volume Three from One Buck Horror


I know I said I was going to get to this one weeks ago, and it really was my plan, but between some writing of my own, a string of disasters and illness I did not get to review One Buck Horror Volume Three as quickly as I did the first two, which were both done days after the collections' initial release dates.  I did get it read on time, partly due to having some free time to kill between my car dying and going to buy a new one.

Yes, the crew at One Buck Horror went at it again, giving us six new tales of terror from several rising talents on the independent horror scene.  Overall the collection is good, though this time out for me it seems they have finally fallen into that rut where the quality of the stories as a group are a little uneven.  Judging from what I've seen in the past I am sure that OBH is gonna keep them coming and keep me shelling out them dollars, however One Buck Horror Volume Three is my least favorite of the collections so far.


Here's a quick look at the stories:

Helpers by David Steffen
He picks them up off the street and stuffs them in a bag.  Once he gets them home he has plans for them and work for them to do.  An excellent lead-in that's short and sweet and has a great little twist at the end.  Five Stars all the way!

Home by Augusto Corvalan
In a post apocalyptic world a family struggles to keep it together as the remaining people in the world devolve into crazed and flesh eating beasts.  A unique take on the zombie/cannibal genre that comes off as nothing but good from start to finish.  Five Stars!

Child Of Dirt by John F. D. Taft
Someone was sleeping in his bed one night, then nine month later came a bundle of joy, of sorts.  This story of a man doing battle with an infant illegitimate creature had a lot of potential in the beginning, but quickly turned to the average, a retread of similar stories and way too predictable.  Three Stars.

The Catman Blues by Leisa K. Parker
At a blues joint a humanoid cat comes to play, resulting in some gore and shattered nerves.  This is one of those stories I like to categorize under the headings the damnedest things and what the fuck.  Stories like this are pretty hit and miss, you either like them or you don't.  It was highly imaginative, but it just quite didn't do it for me personally.  Three Stars!

Vacation by L. Tanner
It's time to go on the annual family vacation.  An event that gets more bizarre, sick and twisted by the year.  Another story that starts off fairly well, but the end is way too predictable.  Three Stars.

Off With His Head by Mark Budman
A man wakes to find himself decapitated, but still alive.  Another story in the damnedest things/wtf category.  Again a highly imaginative tale, but also a weak note for a collection that started strong to end on.  Three Stars.


Okay, so I have to admit that this time out I was personally disappointed with the latest volume from One Buck Horror, but it's far from making me give up the faith in them.  Again, in my opinion it's the nature of the beast when it comes to collections and anthologies.  For the most part you usually get a mix of the good and the bad, and I think it's the One Buck Horror approach of only putting a collection of around half a dozen stories together at a time that helps keep them fresh.  I very much look forward to their next collection, as well as One Buck Zombies, which is due out very soon!

To learn more about One Buck Horror, and the contributors to One Buck Horror Volume One be sure to visit the One Buck Horror website: www.onebuckhorror.com .  Or you can follow One Buck Horror on twitter @OneBuckHorror .

Check out One Buck Horror Volume Three and see what you think for yourself.
Amazon:   http://www.amazon.com/One-Buck-Horror-Three-ebook/dp/B005JGZAY6 
Barnes & Noble:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/One-Buck-Horror-Volume-Three/Christopher-Hawkins/e/2940013054417/

Plus keep a lurk out for OBH's first all zombie collection One Buck Zombies!

Master Vyle

No comments:

Post a Comment